109 Hillman Street is a Romanesque Revival firehouse constructed between 1892 and 1893. It originally served as the Engine No. 5 House, one of the many neighborhood fire stations in New Bedford, and later served as the City’s Civil Defense headquarters.
The building has been vacant for years and has suffered from serious neglect and water infiltration. The building was slated for demolition by the city, however, because of the importance of the structure as a historic landmark, and its contribution to the historic fabric of the neighborhood, WHALE and the city are working together to save and re-use it for affordable and workforce housing.
This $3.7 million restoration project will rehabilitate the building for residential use. The roof will be repaired and replaced, new dormers will be reconstructed following the footprints of the original dormers, and the masonry will be restored. The interior will be restored to accommodate eight units of mixed-income housing.